The Learning Curve

New tricks for an old dog.

April 15th is National referendum day!

It’s the year 2018 and I am gathering the data I need to complete my Federal and State income tax returns for the April 15 voting process. I quickly review the lists of general national and state budget categories before deciding how I want my contributions to the communal money pot to be spent, and although I value national military defense, it is a low priority at the moment, in my opinion.

So, I allocate 3% to the security-defense category on my Federal return. The remaining 97% is divided between public assistance, public transportation, environmental protection, science-exploration and education. And, that’s the way my money will be spent, just because those are my priorities. It will be the law.

Participatory budgeting originated in Porto Alegre, Brazil, in 1989.

Medellin, Columbia is one of the largest cities in the world to have successfully adopted it, where it’s 5 percent of the city budget.

Alberto Diaz-Cayeros  at UC, San Diego, has been studying the ways such systems take root in Mexico. He says there is not a lot of research about it, but he knows that historical factors have to be just right.

Advertisements

Written by Tom Fox

04/13/2011 at 12:21 pm

Posted in Politics

%d bloggers like this: